Friday, January 30, 2009


These curtains I made. I know, I know, maybe you don't sew. BUT, if you have priced even just one panel of curtains lately and have an odd sized window, more than likely it will pay off to make your curtains. These were simple. The middle and top are actually quilting material. The squares of different material were precut and sewn. All I had to do was cut them and add panels. You can also use a product that you can iron on a hem. I have used Steam A Seam before and it works well. Just make sure to get the iron the right temp for both the material and the SAS.


The chest of drawers I bought at a "restore room" at an antique mall in Louisville. It is a Waterfall chest from the 50-60s... it was in pretty bad shape. I bought it for about 30 bucks, used red paint and black oil based enamel to paint the base and the handles. All handles were still there, which is a super rare find in a "restore room." The top was still really bad, so I took a Klimt calendar  that I loved the prints and cut them all up. 
~~You know the kind of calendar you buy, love for a year, then stuff into a box SWEARING to take the prints and frame them. Well, I now have a use for them!~~
Use Modge Podge to glue on the pieces. I just Modge Podged (to create a seal) the top and first drawer as the other drawers were okay. Plus, I didn't want it to be too overly busy.

Have fun! ANOTHER Modge Podge tip: Take those calendar pages, cut to the size of your ugly old tan light switch covers and you have a nice, custom look. I did all the switch plates in my old house and also added funny sayings from magazines. The new peeps like them, so I was glad not to have to replace all of them before moving!

No comments: